Friday, October 5, 2007

Is there a lazy way to success

I've just finished a book " The Lazy Way to Success", written by Fred Groton, a former icecream mogul in USA. I should say, my wish to find something useful in this book failed.
Laziness surely has nothing to do with success, if it did, the beggars would be the richest person in the society. No matter how strong our wishes of finding a shortcut to success is, we certainly can't rely on loafing. Though I love this idea, I have to concede that this theory is nothing but wishful thinking. It just doesn't hold the water.
True fully, only hard work can't lead us to success. It involves more than that: personality, brilliance, right and firm goal, good luck, timely help, wide circle of relationships and so on. But concerted and sustained efforts are absolutely needed on the way to success ( even there are times our efforts couldn't paid off.). I often think, if I could have studied hard instead of droning away the precious years of youth, if I could have raised my ability in using English to a higher level, I would not fret over the possibility of unemployment sometimes and would not stare into a darkness while looking into my future.
This laziness philosophy also shows the huge difference between American and China. In American, being unemployed doesn't mean the end of the world. They can keep life going on social welfares. That means they have more chances to take a second act. If they are unsatisfied with their jobs, they can just quit and walk away. But in China, we have to work hard to meet both ends. Besides we need a job to confirm that we are OK, we are not outused. If unfortunately we got fired, not only the immense financial problem we should deal with, but also the pressure from society and ourselves. The ill feelings of being branded as the losers would be too much for us. That' why I feel a bit puzzled a person would probably be ultimately happier if he was unemployed descried in this book.

No comments: